Monday, January 23, 2006

Gems and Jewels

After a conversation with a dear frien who attended the Conference in Houston, which I badly wanted to go to, but wasn't able to, I was driven to actually do something about our situation.

Needless to say, I'm so hung up on S's third grade's curiculum that I'm providing less time for Islamic lessons. What with teaching three children I'm about ready to throw in the towel. However, every time I think of the influence I dread so much for my children, I resist throwing in the towel.

Today was a pretty relatively good day alhamdulilah. We did Arabic and i finally came up with labelling nouns in the room as a way for them to absorb vocabulary. Next, adjectives. I did that with the power of charades, which sent them toppling over in laughter. Nicely, that led to Surah al Qariah. Then when all was over, I said,

"Time for school."

A collective sigh could be heard.

After Zuhr, I did part of Surah AlFurqan with them, and the end of all that, I said,

"Ok so what did you learn?"

They practically came out with gems! So I told them,

"Let's make a gem board and write down your gems."

A collective yay could be heard.

I guess I have a mini almaghrib going on here now.

2 comments:

Roving Soul said...

u know, each time i read your blog kan, i feel so, well, am amazed... keep writing. i just love reading ur entries.

Nadia said...

thanks nurelsa :) that's nice to know :)