Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Men are protectors of women...

We were driving back home from the library when we reached the corner of Fishinger and Kenny. I didn't hit the brakes as I assessed the speed to be slow enough for me to make a right turn. Apparently, my assessment was erroneous as we somewhat skidded, sending the kids jostling in their seats with their seat belts strapped on.

"Ouch!"

Giggles and chortles broke out behind me as the kids recovered from the sudden turn.

"Oops..sorry!" I said, wondering if I had broken any bones. Since they were still giggling helplessly, I guess not.

"Abi's a safer driver," said S.

"Why?" I asked her.

"Because he stops," she said.

I couldn't help but smile, at the same time berating myself for my bad driving skills.

"That's why men keep care of women," N chimed in.

The fact that she used the word 'keep' escaped me as the bigger implication took hold over me. She remembers! So I asked her,

"Where'd you hear that?"

"You said it! You ALWAYS forget what you say," S said, voicing her amusement and exasperation with my forgetfulness.

Time for a lesson:

"When I say something, don't just take it like that, especially if I say something about Islam. You have to ask me where i got it from. Is is from the Quran, or from hadeeth. Because I can just lie to you and say something that is not true."

"Ok, where'd you get that from?" S asked me.

"From the Quran," I replied.

"So we were right," she said.

"Yes, but that's not the point. You don't just accept anything people say if they don't say where they got it from. Understand?"

She nodded.

The whole thing still leaves me feeling wonder and appreciation for those little minds in their heads. I had mentioned to them the ayat in Surah an-Nisa in passing. I never thought they even paid any attention and lo and behold, I received the surprise of my life!

Never....NEVER underestimate the intelligence of children!


An-Nisa(4/34)

34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allâh has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allâh and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what Allâh orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you see ill­conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allâh is Ever Most High, Most Great.

No comments: