Wednesday, January 04, 2006

You're a Movie Star!

I finally decided to color my hair after years of deliberating and struggling to put some color in my hair with henna. To this day, my hair is still black.

True Red was the color written on the box. I proceeded cautiously, careful to not end up blind of incapacitated in any way. Suffice it to say, it's not easy as I thought it was. How in the world am I supposed to color the back of my head?

Too busy applying the applicator tip on the roots of my hair, I failed to saturate the rest of my hair with it and deemed it enough when there was still some more mixture in the bottle. As I remembered, (after reading the instructions countless times), it said to work the color into the hair and I didn't remember anything about using it all up. Apparently, I was wrong. Sheesh! I hate doing things for the first time, especially following instuctions.

"Kids!! Is my hair red?" I hollered as soon as I stepped out of the bathroom.

I already knew the answer, but I thought I'd feel better if there were more spectators.

There I was standing in front of the mirror trying to see if I had any hint of red in my hair while the kids stared at my head trying to do the same.

"Oh yes! Yes! I see it! On the top of your head!"

"You do?" I asked. Sure I see a little tinge of red on the top of my head, but everywhere else was black as usual.

"Ummi, you're a movie star!!!!" H exclaimed, while I broke into a guffaw.

Movie star indeed! I don't know what his deifnition of a movie star is, but I guess it has something to do with a tinge of red at the top of one's head.

"You're not happy with your hair?" asked S, as I climbed the stairs repeatedly every now and then to look at my hair in the mirror.

"No."

I burdened my children with the question of the day,

"Is my hair red?"

They giggled and answered, trying to look for the red so they could answer me in the affirmative. I felt like a pathetic desperate black headed woman trying to make her hair red.

H said,

"There's red food coloring. You can use that. Adam put red coloring on his hair."

Of course he was referring to Adam's World's Adam. If I wasn't so disappointed with the lack of burgundy on my locks, I would have entertained his suggestions a bit more.

I even resorted to comparing my hair color and S's since she naturally has a little bit of red in her hair. We didn't know exactly where the red came from, but concluded that it must have been the 'natural' shampoo my husband used on her when she was a baby. Wary about all the chemicals in shampoo, and since she was our first child, weresorted to cleaning her hair with honeydew seeds and pulp, watermelon leftovers, cucumber pulp, orange peels and cantaloupe seeds. S's hair is black but with a very slight reddish tint.

I guess I'll just have to redo my hair, or just let the red at the roots grow out.

I wonder if hubby will notice the red. I had told the kids,

"Don't say anything to Abi okay. Let him say soething if he notices anything. If he doesn't say anything, that means it's not red enough."

I hope H won't be the spoiler, or am I going to spoil it myself, like I did the cake?

2 comments:

anggerik merah said...

Nadiaaa...that is awesome!!! I am waiting to see what Abi's said as your kids suggested...:-))

Nadia said...

hehehehehehehe...