Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tasu'aa & Ashoora

"Do you know that Ashoora is coming up soon? Listen to this," I said, as I read to them the hadith that mentions the reward of fasting the day of Ashoora.

Three sets of eyes looked at me.

"Do you remember, we fasted this last year?"

"Oh yeaaahhh! I weemembeww," exclaimed H, eyes lit with enthusiasm.

"Do you want to fast?" I asked.

"Yes!" they chorused.

When Hubby came back, he told them about it and added,

"You don't have to fast, ok. This is not Ramadan, it's just extra."

"But we get rewarded, right?" asked N.

Hubby nodded.

For some reason, these kids love fasting. I even thought one reason might be that they hate drinking because I've never seen kids so enthusiastic to fast at every possible chance they can get. Alhamdulillah. I'm not complaining.

The night before they played in their newly bought tent (which H stumbled upon as we were in Marshall's, looking around.)

"Look! Ten dollars! Let's buy this!" he had said, eyes beaming with hope.

"If you guys don't sleep, we're not going to wake you up for suhoor!" hubby hollered.

They quitened down at that.

On Tasu'aa, they all fasted. It was a pretty hectic day because the girls had dugsi, and right after that both hubby and I had to attend the Hayl meeting, which meant that we had to drag the kids along.

Well, H came to me in the middle of the meeting and whispered,

"I'm so hungry, I'm dead!"

I told him to hold it off a little bit longer.

Minutes later, he came back to me and burst out crying. It took two people to offer him a donut from the donut box the sisters had brought.

However, N and S continued their fast and completed it.

The next day, Ashoora, both S & N fasted with hubby. H didn't however.

First days are always difficult.

No comments: