Monday, June 09, 2008

Allergic Reactions

Last Friday:

A part of our baseboard was broken and we have been having broken paint chips as a result. To make the story short, Baby Z got hold of one chunk of broken wall and chewed it. The girls were supposed to watch him, but had run to the kitchen because they didn't do what they were supposed to do before then. Result: they received severe scolding from my, and resulted in them having to clean the whole house while the rest of us napped. I called the pediatrician and the Poison center, since I was concerned about the ingestion of lead, but inshaallah all is fine.

Last Saturday:

S gave Baby Z some soy-free, wheat-free, dairy-free cookies we had bought for him. He ate two. He had an allergic reaction which includes coughing, wheezing, and a flare up of hives. Suffice it to day, I was scared, especially with the wheezing. The on call pediatrician left us a message (he called while we were making salat Asr) and said,

"If the allergic reaction involves breathing difficulty, please call the squad and have them evaluate, but if it's only a rash, bring the child to the nearest urgent care."

Hubby gave Baby Z a bath, I nursed him, he fell asleep, the wheezing subsided, the hives remained, but at least while he was sleeping, he wasn't making it worse by scratching. After he woke up, his hives were gone and his wheezing had stopped, ALHAMDULILLAH! No squad and no urgent care.

Sunday:

S played with a stray kitten around Buckeye Village. We had company at the time, and when I went upstairs, S was making wudhu' for Maghrib in the bathroom. When she turned to face me, her face was horribly covered in hives, especially around the eyes. It was a while before they went down completely. I hope she's not allergic to horses too.

We had a weekend of allergic reactions...subhanallah. I have never dealt with allergic reactions before. We have none in my side of the family. Let's just say it was pretty scary, though maybe N's febrile seizure was scarier.

3 comments:

Jules UmmEmJoey said...

Asalaam Alaikum Sister,

Alhamdulilah all is well. To deal with hives, some people say to take benedryl. They sell it OTC generic at Walmart that is pretty inexpensive. Also if she does have troubles with the horses you could check out generic claritin, it last longer than benedryl and won't make her drowsy. Insha'Allah all will be fine. Just some thounghts :-)

Take care,

May Allah bless you and your family. Ameen,

Ruqayyah

Nadia said...

waalaikumsalama ruqayyah

aaahh i didn't think of that! yeah, S could take that..Baby Z i am trying to steer clear fr giving him benadryl as much as i can...but S..i'm prob gona call the doc and ask what we can use about the horse and use that as back up just in case..jazakillah khair!!!

ameen and may allah bless yours too ameen!

hugs

Oum Anas said...

Assalamu aleikum

Clarityn is really good, mashaa Allah.

Prsewalsky's horse is said to have no adverse effect on people with fur allergy, wAllahu a'lam.

I have fur allergy, but alhamdu lillah not so bad, I used to ride weekly when I was young, and as long as I washed properly and changed clothes before and after, I was fine.