"You wanna go out?"
"No," the girls chorused from their room.
They're too engrossed in crocheting dolls since a few days ago. I still am amazed at S's ability to read the crochet instructions, when I myself find them rather...hyroglyphicsish. When we entered the library last weekend, as usual, my gaze would fall upon the display shelf on the right, and quickly, I would scan it, looking for interesting non fiction books. Summers ago I used to indulge in reading fictions, but I can't even finish reading the non fiction books I have now, so the fiction will just have to sit in the back burner (if I ever get to them that is). I spotted the book Toys to Crochet, and pointed it out to the kids. The girls took it, and really took to it right away. Before long, S had her crochet needles out, and was crocheting away.
Yesterday, she showed me the doll she is making. Let's just say,
"This girl has some talent!"
Mashaallah!
Only H wanted to go out, so after heating a small bowl of nasi goreng for myself, and fishing for an abaya, hijab, and socks, we went outside, H on his bike, me walking pushing Baby Z in his stroller. H was about to take me to the creek, the talked-about creek where they saw beavers, frogs and tadpoles. On the way, as H biked in front of me, I said to him,
"Hmm, maybe we can go to Big Lots. But Oh, I didn't bring my money."
In all honesty, I was just looking for some exercise. I have been cooped up in the house, in front of the computer so much, that it's just ridiculous. I know I have to exercise and at least have some fresh air, but the books and writing are too compelling to leave behind. What with struggling finding time to write, I couldn't leave the house willingly. This morning, I made sure I did.
Walking all the way to Big Lots sounded appealing to me, because of the potential calories I would burn, and the possible muscle building that might occur. So, we decided to go, even without money. As we neared the traffic lights, H remarked,
"Where would I put my bike?"
This is what happens when you do something on impulse. I'm not a naturally impulsive person, I love planning. So what happened next, was a result of a lack of planning on my part.
"I can go home and get my bike lock."
I let him go, and waited with Baby Z under the cool shade of the a tree. Baby Z adores being out, and in his silent manner, he observed everything around him, pointing every now and then. It reminded me of the times when I used to take the three kids out in the mornings when they were respectively 3, 2, and almost 1 year old.
After a few minutes, I saw H approaching on his bike.
"S's coming!"
I groaned inside. My impulsive plan did not include lugging all four kids to the store. That's just work.
"How about N? Is she coming?"
"No."
"No, she's not leaving N at home by herself. Go back and tell her she's not coming," I said to H, feeling irritation creeping up my neck.
"If N comes can she go?" asked H. He probably feels bad for his sister.
"No, tell her, if she wants to go, we can go later with the van."
H rushed back, and came back to me with
"She still wants to go. And N's coming too."
I feel the irritation growing. What was supposed to be simple mother with two children has turned into mother with four children to watch and mind while crossing the road.
Well, we ended up just that: a mother with four children around her skirt.
On the way back home, I asked them to show me the creek. Boy, was I surprised to find out that the creek was actually more of a sewer.
"That's not a creek! It's a sewer!"
It was also fenced, and as I followed S through brambles and bushes, I found myself standing outside the compounds of Buckeye Village. It was a child's heaven, though I also found myself being rather scared. As S dodged branches, and crawled under bushes, I hesitated. I was holding the camcorder, but my hesitation was due to an irrational fear of snakes and unexpected animals pouncing on me. Seriously, being an adult is not fun. When I was S's age, I used to romp around my father's orchard, chasing the geese, chickens, dodging ninjas between the tapioca trees and chicken hut, running around the man made fish pond where biawaks (type of lizard) have been spotted eating the fish, and pretending I was in the jungle. But now, I'm scared to even crawl through some harmless bushes to see the 'rooms' the kids had found.
I was disappointed with myself. I could't seem to get over the fear. Maybe I've been reading too much. However, I did do one thing that I haven't done for quite some time; ride a bike. Personally I hate riding bikes, for reason I don't wish to disclose here, but boy was I tempted to this morning, in the heat of the moment. Actually I just wanted to see if I could get on it without looking too ridiculous. As soon as I got on it, it felt fearfully high, and I asked S how she managed.
She proceeded to push me, but I screamed, and begged her to stop. She then proceeded to show me how, and indignantly I responded,
"I know how to ride a bike!"
Well, let's just say, I got on it, pedaled, and pedaled all the way home, taking a route where the least number of people could see me. I did pass by the child care center where the children were paying outside on the way. As I pedaled, I began to think,
"Hmm...this is quite fun. It's good exercise too."
Since my rollerblades are now gone, maybe...maybe...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment