"H, listen to the man," I said.
We're still not done with An-Naba'.
He slunk like a snake down the swivel chair; a sign of weary protest.
"Come," I said, gesturing for him to come and sit on my lap.
It usually works when I sith with him and make him repeat after me. Since he's not free of his baby accent yet, it is pretty tough for him to sometimes recite some ayat. He seems to be muddling over the arrangement of sounds. However, lately, he's been improving a lot, Alhamdulillah.
We recited for a while but he was still not getting it.
"That's why you have to listen to the man. Ok, you sit here, I'll turn it on and you listen," I said, leaving him on the couch and heading for the computer.
I played reciter.org and he remained on the couch. After a while, I turned and found him fast asleep. Abdul Basit was still reciting the ayah nevertheless.
I left him sleeping. Then dinner time came. I woke him up.
"H, wake up. Come, let's eat. We have macaroni. Come," I coaxed him.
He had beads of sweat for a goatee and mustache. The air conditioner wasn't on, but he wasn't bothered I suppose. He opened his eyes. They closed again. I persisted.
His eyes slowly opened again. Suddenly he muttered,
"Fazhuqoo falannazeedakum Illa azhaabaa."
"Fazhuqoo falannazeedakum Illa azhaabaa."
"Fazhuqoo falannazeedakum Illa azhaabaa."
Hubby was sitting on the floor, already eating. S and N were in the kitchen ready to eat their macaroni. I sat next to a chanting H, controlling myself from laughing out loud.
I gestured to hubby. He didn't get it. Heck, we don't even understand H's normal speech sometimes. After a while, hubby got it. S came over and grinned. I let H continue his recitation, while also trying to swallow my disbelief. He had actually slept while listening to Abdul Basit recite that particular section of the Surah, and woke up reciting it, thinking I was still doing the surah with him. Astounding!
"Do you remember reciting the surah, H?" I asked him while he was eating.
"No," he said.
"Do you remember sleeping?" I asked again.
"No," he said.
That was yesterday. Today he was still fumbling over that part of the surah, though his impish grin pops up everytime we mention the ayah being his favorite because he said it in his sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment