S appears athletic like hubby but she doesn't have the propensity to plunge into the world of sports other than running for fun with N and H. It rather surprised me that she takes after me a lot. I would have thought that with her build, she would have been into outdoor activities, but as she is growing, she is becoming more domestic.She is currently taking a sewing class. One day I caught her saying to herself again and again,
"I love my sewing class."
It was supposed to be my job to teach them but with my countless ambitions, I only carried it out halfway. Fortunately, we came across these free classes at our local recreation center, also catered for homeschooled children.
When I was in my baking mood (which has dwindled a lot over the years and become very sparse in occurence) the kids would flock over to me in the kitchen. I used to shoo them away but my mother told me that is not such a great idea, because that was how one member of our family developed an inability to thrive in the kitchen. So I took them under my wings and S seems to have a profound interest in it.
We took my mother's bread pudding recipe and I told S to write it down on her own recipe card. This was probably early this year, but she made it herself while I snapped and filmed them. She even managed to put it in the oven herself, under my supervision.
Since it's fall, and since I have a crazy love for bulbs, we grabbed a box of daffodil bulbs when we went to Aldi. I had the kids plant them, but of course, S was the master gardener. I won't be surprised if she becomes the master seamstress soon.
"I want to take the sewing class too!" said H.
"Oh, why?" I asked.
"Because I want to be like Muhammad SAW," he replied.
All as a result of my handiwork telling them that the prophet mended his own clothes.

Well, we'll see. As of now, I just realized that this pregnancy is smack dab in the throes of the school year. Nine months of schooling, that's the nine months I'm occupying with the pregnancy. S is going to have her reading, writing and math tests on my due date. I hope my mother will be able to come. Hubby will be running around for sure, as he already is now.
A little taller and I would have taught S how to cook simple stuff. Right now, her face is just a little above the stove level; pretty dangerous. For now, she can whip up that mean bread pudding, white rice in the rice cooker, cookies and muffins following kid-friendly recipes, and pancakes and pizza with hubby.
I can't wait for spring! I hope the daffodils will sprout up just as nicely as our hyacinths did this year. If all goes well, I will finally have my dream of having a 'spring baby' come true.

4 comments:
Mashaa Allah, how beautiful!
I didn't need my dictionary this time.LOL.
I'm so happy for you Jules,your kids are amazing.
LOL oh sweetie...you crack me up LOLOLOLOLOL hugs
MashAllah, your kids are very talented. And that bread pudding looks amazing.
I would love the recipe :) if it's kid-friendly, haha.
here's the recipe:
Grandma's Bread Pudding
4 slices white bread buttered and cut into triangles if you want
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk (whole is better - richer)
1/3 cups sugar
can use the 8X8 dish or even the 9x13
-if you add more slices of bread it'll be more cakey and not so puddingy, so up to you
preheat over to 350 Fahrenheit
1. Whisk eggs and sugar till sugar dissolved
2. add milk to it and whisk
3. arrange the bread slices in the dish
4. pour the milx mixture over it
5. soak for half an hour
6. bake for about half to one hour (depends on oven sometimes it takes less time so have to keep peeking)
7. take it out when it's puffy and golden
dig in when it's warm or even when it's cold after you put it in the fridge...
this is the simplest bread pudding recipe. you can add choc or raisins if you want. I like it like this. it is my mother's recipe :)
Post a Comment