This year, we didn't prepare for the Spelling Bee as enthusiastically as we did the previous years. Reason : I was sick last week, and the weeks before, we were busy with the TDC.
So H and N went to the Spelling Bee on Monday somewhat in a cavalier manner, I suppose. H did study a little bit, but N, well, let's just say she stops and smells the flowers, and counts the bees on each flower.
This is the first time that Baby Z attended their Spelling Bee. The first Spelling Bee the kids entered, S turned out the champion, and N stayed till the last few rounds. H was too young then. The second Spelling Bee they entered, S competed against 8th graders, and she lasted till there was about 2 other people, which was pretty good, considering she was only in 4th grade at the time. N and H got eliminated pretty early in their Pee Wee Bee.
"B. O. T. T. O. N," N spelled.
"I'm sorry, but nice try," said the school principal, and N walked back to us.
Her expression, was as usual, you couldn't tell what she was feeling. I hugged and kissed her, and a smile broke out, pushing those smooth caramel mole-adorned cheeks upwards.
H was still in the rounds when she was eliminated, so we watched him eagerly.
"Agree," said the school principal.
"A. R. ... err...A. G.R.E.E. Agree,"H spelled.
He probably knew he had blown it too. When he walked back to us, his face was scrunched up, ready to break into tears at anytime. My heart hurt. I hugged and kissed him, not saying anything. He didn't cry.
Later on I asked him how he felt about it.
"Bad, I didn't win."
At the kitchen table, when they were having dinner, S joked,
"Botton and Argee!"
They all broke into laughter. They found the humor in it. Alhamdulillah.
Despite all that, we did treat them with Tim Horton donuts and hot chocolate right after the Spelling Bee. They actually did pretty good. This year, they lasted quite a few more rounds before they were eliminated.
S, however, refused to participate, as she realized that the Spelling Bee for the older kids are more serious and difficult, despite doing quite good last year.
This might be their last Spelling Bee, if we move this year.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment