Thursday, March 30, 2006

No Summer School, Ummi!

(one of many methods of memorizing Surah Al-Aadiyat for S)

"I don't want to go to summer school," said S, frowning.

"You've been stuck with me the rest of the year. You NEED to go to summer school. I NEED you to go to summer school," I replied.

Summer is my only reprieve, my superficial vacation, my fake salvation, my tie to sanity.

"It's too babyish!" N protested.

I totally feel her. Last year we had sent them to the summer program at the masjid. S and N were way above kids their age in reciting, memorisation and writing Arabic. S qualified inclusion in a group of teenage girls, but she apparently refused to be with the big girls, according to her teacher. It wasn't until later on that I found that out, when she complained about being bored.

Understandably, S won 'best student' at the end of the program. This was last year.

The year before, there was a different program at the masjid. N was too young then, so S attended the program without her sister. The program was handled by a different set of people. Each student was given a book containing Juz 'Amma. S had to memorize one surah every day. Since she had already memorized the short surahs, they assigned her the longer ones.

I balked at her homework. How was she supposed to memorize Surah Al-Aadiyat in one day? I wrote a note to the teacher, asking for shorter portions for memorization because S ended up crying trying to do her 'homework'. For the record, I almost ended up crying too.

It was a tough yet rewarding summer program for S. It was challenging enough for her.

The year before, I enrolled S and N (who wasn't too young for that particular program) in a summer program run by the local Islamic school. For the whole six weeks, they memorized Surah As-Shams. Hubby scoffed at the comparison of that summer and the next (the tough one).

I wonder what program is going to be available this coming summer. Whatever it is, the point is to throw the kids into the midst of other kids their own age. I don't particularly approve the language and mannerism of the other kids, as I've had the opportunity of listening to them converse. However, I can't shelter the kids forever. With the nurturing at home, it will be a practice ground for them before they go into the world at full force. This year, I hope H will be old enough to enroll. Otherwise, I'll be stuck at home with his never ending chatter.

4 comments:

Roving Soul said...

the pop up maps are very nice! might try it some days...

i hope they will find a great summer camp this yr :-) you can haf ur rest, and can come up with great new ideas...

Anonymous said...

Assalamu'alaikum.
Saya blog hopped from kak teh's. And I am glad I did, because I had been harboring to home school my kids dari dulu, tapi kurang tahu di mana nak cari info. Now I could read about ur experience, instead! Thank you sangat sangat

Nadia said...

elsa, oohh yes, yes...rest i need so much. We'll all be reading this summer anyway, as is usually the case hehe

Marlinda,
Welcome! nice to have you here. your baby tia so cute. tembamnyeeee :D my experience is but a measly amount, but insyaallah you can benefit from some links I've put up to other homeschooling mamas. I share what I can, but I have a lot more to learn :) enjoy!

eiseais said...

nadia...i'm always so in awe of the way your children is brought up, esp when it comes to agama matters. that's what scares me the most when i think of amir's future. will he be a good muslim, will he be able to remember Allah's teachings in this current climate when religious hatred is so open. takut nya Ya Allah. i hope i am half as good as you are when it comes to this, insyaallah