Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Flurry of Activities

The sudden scare of having to go back to Malaysia sent me scrambling to make full use of our time here in the States.

"You'd better go and do all those stuff. Back here they have all those activities but they're very expensive," said my mother.

So off I went enrolling the kids in this and that so they can enrich their life experience. Last Saturday we attended the free workshop at Home Depot. Hands-on activity : building a picket fence planter was the project. The kids were given sets of pre cut and sanded wood pieces, nails, screws and hammers. We helped them put the pieces together and voila, we went off with three planters and flower pots which they later painted at home. Now I have those flowers sitting on our air conditioner outside. I think that was a good activity.

Then we went to the local Islamic School's open house. I managed to glean their activities, reading materials during the tour. I also found out about the Voucher Program, which is quite interesting. I don't know if I want to look into it. I might.

This week I have to call Lowe's and ask about their free workshop this Saturday. Then June 23 through August is the free tennis program for kids aged 6-8 at the Whetstone Library. I'm also sure the libraries will be teeming with reading programs. S won the sweepstakes last year, and we got to go to Cedar Points for free.

With that, and the projects I'm undertaking in Columbus Dawah, I'm more than busy. There's also Camp Cosi which we're applying for financial aid now. Summer is the busiest season in the year. I wonder how I'll be able to cope handling that, the projects, my writing and whatever else I'm taking up. Subhanallah! I must be out of my mind!

2 comments:

Roving Soul said...

Nadia, u r coming back? Really?

There are times when I feel that life is asking too much of me, and other times that I am asking too much from life. But then, each time I start to analyse these questions, I realise that life is like the ocean, its deep in some places, shallow at some, warm water at some, very cold at some... I guess, sometimes, you just have to ask much cos you know want as much.

So, enjoy having sooo many activities, cos u get sooo much benefits from it :P

(am i making sense?)

Nadia said...

yes..it makes sense :D nice metaphor and analogy by the way elsa....

well, not soon but eventually coming back. What i'm looking forward is all the new friends in Malaysia I've made while here in the US. LOL ironic huh..power of the internet.

hmm I wonder what happened to Azizah? Hope she's ok.