I was compelled to compile a list of Islamic tapes etc for our children's viewing/listening pleasure :
This is based on what I've noticed with my kids though (their reactions):
Adam's World Series
Salam and the Knights of Virtue
Salam's Journey
Salam and the Golden Queen
The Boy and the King
The Jar
Muslim Scouts Adventures 1
Muslim Scouts Adventures 2
Audio:
Lives of the Prophets
My kids love Muslim Scouts and Salam. The Boy and the King can be a little scary for younger kids though because there's sorcery and magic. This story is in Surah al Buruj, so quite an interesting hook to teaching the Quran to kids. My kids aren't really hooked to The Jar, I don't know why. As for Adam's World, this is more like a comfort show for them, because I used to put it on a lot when they were toddlers, so they kind of grew up with it. My two younger ones will still watch it even though they've watched it so many times. My oldest is done with it. She even sometimes get annoyed when her siblings put it on.
However, I've also noticed some good influence from these, especially Adam's World. Alhamdulillah.
I'm currently doing Life of Muhammad Makkan Period as our seerah lesson. Pretty interesting though of course I've had to modify the story telling so the kids can understand. Right now we're at the part where Abdul Mutallib discovering the lost well of Zamzam.
Our van is packed with cassettes of Anasheed and Anwar Awlaki's Lives of the Prophets. I told hubby that the only reason I would want a new van is so we can listen to the CDs we have at home. Insyaallah.
Whenever we go anywhere with the van, either the anasheed would go on or Anwar Awlaki's lectures. To my surprise, the kids were able to benefit from it, as could be seen when they began to ask questions or comment on the lecture. I thought that the lecture was too complex for them, but apparently, they were underestimated. The sunnah is to bring children to grown up gatherings of knowledge so they could benefit. I never really understood this because I couldn't imagine kids sitting quietly for the whole period of a halaqa or lecture.
However, I have had the experience of having my kids sit through a whole weekend seminar without, and I mean literally sit through it! Subhanallah! Maybe it was the barakah, because my kids are pretty active.
Nevertheless, I guess as parents we need to assess their moods before just lugging them to a lecture. So far though, I've had good results from the Anwar Awlaki lectures with the kids. S and N are even taking notes. Masyaallah.
Well, let's pray this lasts. Ameen.
Thursday, May 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
This reminds me, with summer holiday coming up need to buy some Islamic videos and books for the kids.
Salam
juli, thanks for sharing. i have one of the salam series cd, a translated version and ayesha just loves it. maybe i can try to look for more. do the webshop ships to malaysia?
lia,
hmmm tak tau pulak. You can ask Lily, maybe she can order from here and sell through UKS? The Adam's World one I think is good esp for littler kids, kinda like sesame street but islamicized. Maybe a bit too simplistic but at least my kids learned and benefited from it, that's why I'm recommending it.
edward,
how many kids do you have?
as salaamu `alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa baraakatuh Sister
I tried looking for an email to contact you but I don't think you have it listed. But then again, I've had 2 sleepless nights trying to finish a lapbook so maybe it is just me? heh...
I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding homeschooling. Could you email me at razzberryATimaanDOTnet? Jazakillah khayran in advance.
assalakualaikum,
eerrrmmm... i was jumping from one blog to the next and ended up here. became mighty suspicious.
i think i might know u... do u have a friend in peoria??... and did we all go to smoky mountain N.P last year??...
WIN!!!!! YUP!! you got me right! heheheheheheh adoi...keciknye dunia..I keep bumping into people I know of who knows people I know LOL....me la juli...hehehehehe
sumayyah,
Hmmm yes, i guess Muslim Scouts do have a bit of violence. I'm kind of actually torn between this violent issue. I'm torn between excluding it totally or not. I have qualms about letting my son play with toy guns or swords, dagger etc, but the sunnah, boys do learn martial arts (loosely speaking) since they were young to prepare for war. So that's why I'm torn. But as for Muslim Scouts, hmmm...I'm not that bothered I suppose, for the above reason. But, if I do see my son playing with a toy gun or dagger, I would tell him not to.
btw Sumayyah,
masyaallah your children don't watch TV at all? Masyaallah! :) I can tell my kids not to watch TV, I only let them watch PBS, but even that sometimes I don't like, but I still let them. I wonder now if I should not let them or make them choose just one or two. Might be a good idea....jazakilah khair :) hugs
waalaikumsalam sumayyah
oh that is a good idea (taping the programs). A sister was just telling me to get those arabic programs from those channels, but we don't even have cable let alone a satelite dish LOL. THose will require finances which we don't currently have, but I'll keep that in mind insyaallah. Jazakillah khair.
My kids alhamdulillah are not that hooked on TV too, and I just can tell them to sit and read and they will obey with no complaints, but thing is, I do let them. I just had a talk with them and it seems we've agreed on limiting it.
Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»
Post a Comment