Here we go again, my writing craze is sparked, and I still can't believe I did it, but I signed myself up for NanoWrimo. In addition, I also signed out in-house author up for the Young Writers NanoWrimo. She was more calm and sure about it than I was. I don't know how I'm going to pull it off, but I guess sometimes you have to go for the plunge and try to swim back to the surface.
Meanwhile, I'm realizing that I can actually eliminate stress in this homeschooling business, inshaallah.
Yesterday, I noticed something about us.
The kids were already doing their OHVA schoolwork in the morning. Noses to the grindstone kind of concentration too, mashaallah! So they were done pretty early, such that they were able to work on their Solar System Unit Study individual project in the afternoon, and we were able to fit in a read-aloud session. I noticed that I wasn't harried or distressed yesterday alhamdulillah. Bonus: I just realized that N had a Solar System Unit in her OHVA Science curriculum. Since they had been devouring books on the Solar System since after Eid, I decided to give her the lesson assessment so she we could mark those as 'done' in her Online School. She passed with flying colors! This is something amazing, compared to the drudgery of me having to repeat parts of lessons sometimes, just to make sure she attains the objectives of the lesson. With N, individual pace and readiness are really the key, I think, which is why a set curriculum would not work for her, and would only induce insanity in me.
I have to admit, I didn't do much read-alouds to the kids, and this I believe has contributed somewhat to the lack of language skills (relatively) in them. I will do this with Baby Z inshaallah.
As for NanoWrimo, S and H refused to participate. So the adventure this year is for me and N. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling that N will be more successful at the writing than I would.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment