"Ummi, can non Muslims come inside our house?" H asked me yesterday.
"Why?" I asked him in return.
"Did SY want to come in just now?" I asked him again.
Hours prior to his question, I was at the computer downstairs. H was playing with our Korean neighbor's son two doors away outside. They loitered in the front yard and the back yard. There was a time when the kitchen door opened, and I saw SY peeking in, before H closed the door. I figured H was asking because SY had probably wanted to come inside.
"No, but I was asking him where he wants to play," H replied.
I was quite surprised at H's question and answer. The fact that he was asking me showed that he was thinking about the limits of who are allowed to come in the house while we are all wearing casual clothes. I have always taught them to not leave the door open in case someone peeks in. We have had problems of clashing cultures here. The Chinese apparently have different limits with regards to peeking in other people's houses. Many a times we have had strange Chinese faces popping up in our slightly open doors. There was even an instance where one neighbor just barged in while Hubby and I were on the couch. Fortunately it was a she, though that didn't make the matter any much less disturbing.
I hesitated before answering him. His face was serious, which was quite a welcome surprise because he's usually cheeky and playful. I was so happy and glad that he actually thought about it and asked. Alhamdulillah.
"Well, it depends. It doesn't matter who it is, Muslim or non Muslim. Before anyone comes into our house, make sure you tell us first," I said, watching him to see if he understood.
"Because sometimes, I might have to put something on," I explained further.
"Or Abi too?" he chimed in.
I nodded.
"Or even S and N. S is getting bigger, so you don't want to just bring anyone inside. Just let us know first," I said.
I commended him on his thoughtfulness. As he left with his serious expression, I couldn't help smiling, and felt really pleased. I suppose this was one of those times where they 'output' what you 'input' in their databases, even if it was eons ago. Never underestimate a child's retaining power. Subhanallah!
Alhamdulillah, I have taught the kids to only knock 3 times at the most on other people's door, based on this hadith:
For Allah’s Messenger (s) said: "Should one of you ask permission three times and is not answered, then he should leave." (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
Islam is such a beautiful way of life that encompasses all aspects of life. It's a pity that most Muslims nowadays do not embrace that fact in its totality. We have left the sunnah behind. It's high time we learn it and revive it. We can begin with ourselves, and our children insyaallah. Let the Sunnah LIVE!
Thursday, May 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
akum..
came across your blog from sentraal station..very interesting..and somewhat different..will look forward to the future entries..ohh..and yess let the Sunnah live!!
waalaikumsalam
a warm welcome from me UBA :)
Post a Comment