"Hadhla means muntah," H exclaimed.
They had just come back from the masjid from their Arabic class. So far they had been 'teaching' me new Arabic words.
So I took in the new word as I did the others. Whenever Baby Z would spit up, they would all chorus,
"Hadhla! Hadhla!"
Eventually, I used the word too.
One day, they broke the news to me.
"We made it up."
Incredulous, I asked them,
"You mean, it's not a real word??"
"No, you think it's real?" they said, chuckling.
"Yeah!"
"When you muntah it sounds like hadhla, that's why we said hadhla," H explained, apparently very proud of himself for fooling me.
On the other hand, they also propagated the word muntah to non Malay speaking people.
I was holding Baby Z when he spit up, and if I wasn't mistaken, the Arab lady sitting with them exclaimed,
"Muntah, muntah!"
I didn't realize it at the time, but after we got home, I got to thinking and I am pretty sure she said 'muntah'.
She obviously had been talking with the kids. Oh boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment