I finally managed to update our word count on the NanoWrimo website today. N's now at 1,188 and I'm at 1,365.
"What's your title, Ummi?"
"I don't have one yet," I replied.
To be honest, i don't even know what I'm writing about. N, on the other hand seems to know where she's going. Her 'novel' is called Travel to the Planets. I'm really amazed at her word choices. You don't have to teach this girl to use strong verbs! She's an expert at them, and her voice, mashaallah, she does have a voice, even if she is verbally quiet.
Recently, my mother told me that she had received the cards the kids had made for everyone in her household. The kids had made cards for their many grandmothers, uncles and aunt. I had told them to pack them in the big envelopes to send to my mother, mother in law, and my father. I didn't look at the cards as I was busy in those last few days of Ramadan, so I trusted them to appropriately fill the envelopes. I didn't even check to make sure the right cards went in the right envelopes.
I received an email from my mother saying that in her envelope were cards for my brothers on my father's side, my mother in law and one of my brothers didn't get any!
I immediately told them that they had left out Uncle Nk. N immediately made card for her Uncle Nk. So did H, who claimed that he was too lazy to make them in the first place. I suppose they felt bad for the big mix up.
I realized that N's strength really truly lie in interpersonal communication. Sure, you might have a hard time getting a peep out of her verbally, but try doing it on paper, and you'll be surprised. When my mother came recently, she told me that N has gift for writing. I agree. She does. Mashaallah. I guess if I can't get her to respond verbally, I can always get it in writing. She's always glued to her chair in the room either doodling or writing away anyway. Many times, hubby told her to go outside and play, but she always refused, and when she did, it is only for a little while.
So maybe I'm unlocking N's world through this NanoWrimo venture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment