Hello all,
Mark your calendars!! The Columbus Zoo will becoming next Monday, March 17th at 6:00pm. This event is free and open to ALL residents of Buckeye Village. Hope to see you there!
which sent the kids into a flurry of excitement. Yesterday, the day of the event, they kept looking at the time, waiting for it to be 5:45 pm, where hubby had told them to call him at his office so he could bring them to the event. I didn't plan to tag along, especially since Baby Z was still not 100% over his pneumonia, but all the excitement got to me, so I did. And I'm glad I did. It was very informational, educational, fun, and interesting. (And I'm talking about me here).

H brought along his pocket notebook, which he filled with notes, as the prese
nters provided interesting information about each animal. I am a typical Malay(at least that's what I believe about a typical Malay): I don't touch animals for fun, or out of curiosity. Where my kids would actually reach out their hands to feel the smooth scales of the Ball Python, run their fingers along the glassy body of the legless lizard, and touch the shell of the armadillo, I preferred to keep my hands to my sides. No thank you.
When they were showing the ball python, H was standing quite close to the presenter. She noticed him jotting down notes in his litle notebook, and remarked,
"Are you taking notes? Good! That's what we want to see, some learning going on. Do you have any questions?"
H then asked (I couldn't hear him) what the pythons eat.
There were a lot of attendees, and the room was pretty full and noisy.
They had first brought out the two cloud leopard cubs, that meowed like kittens, but in a higher and sharper pitch. The next animal was the Chilean Flamingo,
which almost sent me running when it started to flap its wings rapidly and dance about the room. They explained that it was excited to be in a big company, as flamingoes are very social animals and like to be in a flock. Shorty (the name of the flamingo) considered us its flock.
At one point, N hung back from the crowd encircling the table with the armadillo, and wept silently. Apparently, she was sad and mad that she couldn't get to touch the armadillo, because people were behaving in a 'survival of the fittest' manner. I recall this manner presenting itself back in Ramadan years ago at our local masjid. What was supposed to be an orderly line of women waiting to be plated with their iftar turned out to be a rushing madness of starved fasting women going for the food in the most unbecoming manner! I never went for Ramadan iftars again for a few years after that incident. And the thrown leftovers, oh don't get me started on that! Nevertheless, things have become better over the years, alhamdulillah, and since hubby is part of the masjid committee, we are privy to some of the issues concerning the masjid, which actually rather endears the masjid to us.
which sent the kids into a flurry of excitement. Yesterday, the day of the event, they kept looking at the time, waiting for it to be 5:45 pm, where hubby had told them to call him at his office so he could bring them to the event. I didn't plan to tag along, especially since Baby Z was still not 100% over his pneumonia, but all the excitement got to me, so I did. And I'm glad I did. It was very informational, educational, fun, and interesting. (And I'm talking about me here).

H brought along his pocket notebook, which he filled with notes, as the prese
nters provided interesting information about each animal. I am a typical Malay(at least that's what I believe about a typical Malay): I don't touch animals for fun, or out of curiosity. Where my kids would actually reach out their hands to feel the smooth scales of the Ball Python, run their fingers along the glassy body of the legless lizard, and touch the shell of the armadillo, I preferred to keep my hands to my sides. No thank you.
When they were showing the ball python, H was standing quite close to the presenter. She noticed him jotting down notes in his litle notebook, and remarked,"Are you taking notes? Good! That's what we want to see, some learning going on. Do you have any questions?"
H then asked (I couldn't hear him) what the pythons eat.
There were a lot of attendees, and the room was pretty full and noisy.
They had first brought out the two cloud leopard cubs, that meowed like kittens, but in a higher and sharper pitch. The next animal was the Chilean Flamingo,
which almost sent me running when it started to flap its wings rapidly and dance about the room. They explained that it was excited to be in a big company, as flamingoes are very social animals and like to be in a flock. Shorty (the name of the flamingo) considered us its flock.At one point, N hung back from the crowd encircling the table with the armadillo, and wept silently. Apparently, she was sad and mad that she couldn't get to touch the armadillo, because people were behaving in a 'survival of the fittest' manner. I recall this manner presenting itself back in Ramadan years ago at our local masjid. What was supposed to be an orderly line of women waiting to be plated with their iftar turned out to be a rushing madness of starved fasting women going for the food in the most unbecoming manner! I never went for Ramadan iftars again for a few years after that incident. And the thrown leftovers, oh don't get me started on that! Nevertheless, things have become better over the years, alhamdulillah, and since hubby is part of the masjid committee, we are privy to some of the issues concerning the masjid, which actually rather endears the masjid to us.
I told her to fight her way in, but, being N, she refused. All in all, they did have fun, and close to the end, when most people have left, the kids got to pet the dingo, which the presenters didn't allow anyone to pet because of the possibility that it might react to the rowdiness. The kids all said that the dingo was their favorite part.

"It can only bark once," they said, and I responded,
"Only once in its lifetime?!"
S chuckled, and explained, in a rather grown up way,
'No, it can only bark once, and then it's whine, whimper."
We have always been to the zoo, almost every year, but hubby grew tired of the repeated excursions, and we never went again. So this was a very nice event that we could attend without paying for the tickets and parking, alhamdulillah. Plus, the animals presented are not those we could see at the zoo anyway. They are animals usually shown on TV; the bit of information which perked up everyone's ears. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind a visit to the zoo, again. They probably have new sections up by now. Maybe we could go before we have to leave Columbus for good, inshaallah.
1 comment:
'No, it can only bark once, and then it's whine, whimper." Wut duz thameen?
Post a Comment